Field Instructors & Lead Field Instructors
Field Instructors & Lead Field Instructors are responsible for managing the safety of trip participants while co-facilitating multi-day adventure education courses in the field, including kayaking, backpacking, rock climbing, glacier trekking, whitewater rafting, and mountaineering. Instructors manage risks and assure effective courses, while serving as an educator and role model.
Instructors must be able to teach and facilitate NCOAE’s curriculum to teens and adults, complete documentation in an accurate and timely manner, and participate in pre and post-trip meetings. Additional duties include facilitating a meaningful group process and setting an emotionally and physically safe, fun, and engaging tone.
NCOAE’s hands-on, experiential core curriculum emphasizes teamwork, environmental stewardship and the acquisition of technical skills. Through these lessons, NCOAE Instructors help course participants improve their self-confidence and interpersonal relationships. Experiential education is merged with good, old-fashioned fun to offer an unrivaled path to insight, joy and drive. NCOAE is proud to be an AEE (Association for Experiential Education) accredited organization.
- 3+ years of experience leading outdoor education, wilderness adventure, or related programs
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification, or willingness to obtain
- Competency in risk management skills
- Satisfactory completion of a NCOAE Instructor Course or NCOAE Outdoor Educator Course
- 5+ years experience leading domestic and international outdoor education programs
- Current WFR or WEMT certification
- Leave No Trace Trainer or Master Educator certification
- Master’s, Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in adventure education, outdoor education, recreation, wilderness leadership or related degree
Applications from exceptional outdoor and wilderness-based educators, guides, field staff, and program administrators are accepted on a rolling basis. Interested individuals may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to hr@NCOAE.org