NCOAE is seeking energetic, positive and ambitious individuals to join our team. We are currently hiring both experienced and first year raft guides for our upcoming whitewater rafting season on the Deschutes River.
We focus on providing the highest level of safety, professionalism and customer satisfaction. Guides with previous commercial rafting experience are given preference for hiring.
All first year raft guides must complete training runs on each section of the Deschutes River and skills proficiency must be demonstrated before guides may take clients down the river. River guides are expected to have up to date certifications in First Aid and CPR. Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, and Swiftwater Rescue Training certifications are a plus.
Typical river guide duties include, but are not limited to:
- Guide clients safely down (Class II, III & IV) sections of the Deschutes River.
- Fit clients with gear and PFDs and assist as needed.
- Conduct a safety orientation talk for clients about to embark on a raft trip.
- Rig boats with appropriate gear for the trip type.
- Converse with clients about the climate, history, wildlife, geology, and plants of the area.
- Treat all clients with courtesy.
- Maintain friendly, positive attitude towards clients and coworkers.
- Assist in the maintenance of equipment, e.g, wash equipments, etc.
- Lift and stack heavy boats onto trailers; unload and launch boats.
- Safely drive shuttle vans pulling trailers loaded with rafts.
- Be a team player. Display good judgment. Be dependable, punctual.
- Be willing to assist management with the repair and maintenance of all equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
NCOAE is proud to be an AEE (Association for Experiential Education) accredited organization.
- Prior experience working with outdoor programs, such as recreation programs, summer camps, wilderness programs, etc.
- Current First Aid & CPR certification, or willingness to obtain
- Competency in risk management skills
- Satisfactory completion of an NCOAE raft guide training
- 3+ years experience leading rafting trips
- Current WFA or WFR certification
- Current Swift Water Rescue certification
- Leave No Trace Trainer
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree (or working towards) in adventure education, outdoor education, recreation, wilderness leadership or related degree
NCOAE is an Equal Opportunity Employer: The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education (NCOAE) is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not tolerate any form of unlawful discrimination. All employment decisions at NCOAE are based on merit and to the principle of equal employment opportunity. In keeping with both the letter and spirit of this policy, NCOAE is committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting into all job levels the most qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other protected characteristic.