College Credit

A group of teenagers sitting towards the top of a mountain, with a view of the landscape in front of them.

Earning College Credit

There is an essential opportunity for each student to flourish in the individualized environment at The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education (NCOAE).

NCOAE connects specific wilderness curriculum to help students make authentic change within themselves and therefore, within in the world. NCOAE is dedicated to developing passionate learners, community leaders and value-driven decision makers. This all ties together in helping a student create the foundation to, “be leaders, problem solvers, and self-sufficient explorers.” All academic course work for NCOAE’s academic quarter and semester courses is university-level.

NCOAE uses experiential education as the foundation of its educational philosophy, which helps students develop in the capacity to meet social challenges, solve problems, and make a positive difference in the world.

Students enrolled in the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW) – a nationally ranked University accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission—are eligible to receive college credits for select approved NCOAE courses. Read below to find out which courses are eligible for college credit through UNCW.

Academic Course Hours and Credits

NCOAE maintains and exceeds U.S. university standards for classroom hours. Each course is assigned credits based on academic rigor and course hours. Students may be eligible for the following college-level credits through the University of North Carolina at Wilmington:

Academic Quarter Course: Outdoor Educator Instructor

Wilderness Medicine Training

How do I get college credit?

Environmental Science (EVS) students currently enrolled at the University of North Carolina- Wilmington (UNCW) will be eligible to receive credit hours for any of the courses listed above.

Students may be eligible to receive college level credits within their own institutions; however, these students should speak to their advisors first regarding this possibility. Non-UNCW students would have to apply as non-degree seeking at UNCW in order to register for the credits and then transfer them back to their home institution. It is up to their home institution to see if they are accepted within their curriculum.

Still Have Questions?