Field Instructors & Outdoor Educators
Field Instructors & Outdoor Educators are responsible for managing the safety of trip participants while co-facilitating multi-day adventure education courses in the field, including kayaking, backpacking, rock climbing, glacier trekking, whitewater rafting, and mountaineering. Instructors manage risks and assure effective courses, while serving as an educator and role model.
Instructors must be able to teach and facilitate NCOAE’s curriculum to teens and adults, complete documentation in an accurate and timely manner, and participate in pre and post-trip meetings. Additional duties include facilitating a meaningful group process and setting an emotionally and physically safe, fun, and engaging tone.
NCOAE’s hands-on, experiential core curriculum emphasizes teamwork, environmental stewardship and the acquisition of technical skills. Through these lessons, NCOAE Instructors help course participants improve their self-confidence and interpersonal relationships. Experiential education is merged with good, old-fashioned fun to offer an unrivaled path to insight, joy and drive.
NCOAE is proud to be an AEE (Association for Experiential Education) accredited organization.
- 3+ years of experience leading outdoor education, wilderness adventure, or related programs
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification, or willingness to obtain
- Competency in risk management skills
- Satisfactory completion of a NCOAE Instructor Course
- 5+ years experience leading domestic and international outdoor education programs
- Current WFR or WEMT certification
- Leave No Trace Trainer or Master Educator certification
- Master’s, Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in adventure education, outdoor education, recreation, wilderness leadership or related degree
NCOAE is an Equal Opportunity Employer: The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education (NCOAE) is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not tolerate any form of unlawful discrimination. All employment decisions at NCOAE are based on merit and to the principle of equal employment opportunity. In keeping with both the letter and spirit of this policy, NCOAE is committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting into all job levels the most qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other protected characteristic.